As we all know, the 3.5 EcoBoost engine is used in a large number of cars, pickup trucks, supercars, and utility vehicles, and more and also has a good reputation as one of the better engines out there. However, many people don’t know how long they will last.
In the rest of this blog post, I will tell you everything you need to know. Keep reading.
Table of contents
What is a 3.5 EcoBoost?
The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine is the most powerful engine in the F150 lineup, and it’s also the most efficient.
The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 makes 355 – 450 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 470 lb.-ft. It’s mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission that allows more gears than the prior six-speed transmission to improve acceleration and fuel economy.
The powertrain also includes a stop/start system that shuts down the engine when you come to a stop, but restarts automatically when you take your foot off the brake pedal or shift into gear again.
The 3.5 Ecoboost engine is a great. It’s powerful enough to tow heavy loads and will get you where you need to go quickly and efficiently.
How reliable is the Ford 3.5 EcoBoost engine?
The Ford 3.5 EcoBoost engine is a reliable and powerful engine that provides great performance and fuel economy.
Ford has built its reputation on making high-quality vehicles that last for many years without needing too many repairs or maintenance. The Ford 3.5 EcoBoost engine is no different, as it will provide years of reliable operation if properly maintained.
The 3.5 EcoBoost is a great option for someone who wants to buy a new engine because it offers many advantages over smaller engines.
3.5 EcoBoost life expectancy
3.5 EcoBoost engine can give you up to 250 000 miles (402 000 km), which is a lot more than the average life expectancy of most vehicles. However, it all depends on your driving style and the way you take care of your vehicle.
Most engines don’t get that far because of bad maintenance. You should always keep an eye on your oil level, transmission fluid, and antifreeze levels. If you neglect any of those things, then your engine will not last as long as it should.
3.5 EcoBoost common problems
While this is generally an excellent engine that provides plenty of power, it does have its share of issues. Here are three common problems you might encounter:
- Timing Chain Wear: When a timing chain breaks, it causes catastrophic damage to your engine because there are no parts left to keep everything running smoothly. The timing chain is responsible for keeping all of your valves synchronized when they open and close at different times during the combustion cycle. When this happens, it can cause serious problems with fuel economy and performance due to poor air flow through the engine.
- Ignition Issues: The ignition system in your car uses spark plugs to ignite fuel inside each cylinder when it’s time for combustion to take place. A faulty ignition system can cause rough idling or stalling during acceleration because there isn’t enough power going into each cylinder at once to make it run properly.
- Intercooler Condensation: The intercooler is an important part of your car’s cooling system because it cools down air that passes through it before it goes into the engine. If your intercooler gets clogged with dirt or debris, then it can’t do its job properly. This can cause problems like overheating and loss of power from your engine.
What years are the least reliable?
The models from 2011, 2013, and 2015 were the most unreliable and had the most issues. The good news is that plenty of other years are available for purchase today that aren’t as problematic as those models.
However, there are also some rare cases where certain models of this engine have failed completely due to a manufacturing defect or design flaw.
What 3.5 EcoBoost years are the most reliable?
The most reliable years for this engine are 2017, and 2018. These years have had a few issues with the engine.
The 3.5 liters Ecoboost has an issue with the timing chain and cam phasers that can cause serious damage to the engine if not addressed early on. Other than this issue, there are not many issues with the engine itself.
How to make a 3.5 EcoBoost more reliable
- The 3.5 EcoBoost is a great engine, but like all engines, it requires a little bit of maintenance and care to keep running smoothly. Here are some of the basic things that you can do to make sure your 3.5 EcoBoost stays in good condition:
Always use premium fuel. The Ecoboost 3.5 liter engine is designed to run on premium fuel and it has been engineered to run at its best when it is burning premium fuel. If you are using a cheaper grade of gasoline, then this will lead to less power and overall performance.
- Change your oil and filter every 5k miles or every 3 months (whichever comes first). This will help prevent premature wear and tear on your engine block and other components in your engine.
- Check for coolant leaks. The coolant system in these vehicles is pretty complex, and there are several places where it can leak without showing any external signs of damage. You should check for leaks around all of your hoses and connections when you have the hood up, as well as any lines running into or out of the radiator itself. If you find a leak, take it to an auto shop immediately!
In the end, the reliability of the EcoBoost depends entirely on maintenance. No one can predict a car’s service life from a short driving session.
Thomas is a retired Motor Mechanic, a Father and a Grandfather. He writes from his 20+ years in the automotive industry to help you find and solve anything related to Car repairs, Maintenance and Care.